Monday, March 10, 2014

Treat others the way you would like to be treated

This is the link to my podcast!

https://drive.google.com/a/hs.rsu5.org/file/d/0BztO92-PmLZBNmdKY0ZBS3lKMkU/preview



I truly believe that you should treat others the way that you would like to be treated. I've been taught this since I was very young.  I've heard it many times being called "The Golden Rule".  I've been hearing this my whole life, but it wasn't until recently that I truly started to live by it. I couldn't help but think to myself that if I've been taught this over and over; shouldn't it have a significant role in the way I live everyday?
           An experience not too long ago, really changed my thoughts about this belief. At a  summer camp I attended this past year there was an organized trip to hike the beautiful Mt. Tumbledown. We were also planning to spend the night under the stars at the summit. All week long there had been various weather reports to whether a thunder storm would slide by or hit us head on.  Despite the forecast, we decided to take our chances and continue with the trip. We had accomplished the ascent, but I had noticed that there was something different from the previous year. The humidity was much higher and I could see dark clouds rapping their thick arms around the surrounding mountains.  Fearlessly we decided to stick it out. Just as the sun set the rain started pouring down like buckets. The counselors had us move to lightly wooded area off the rock face. The roaring thunder and bursts of lighting came shortly after.  A couple hours past and the counselors decided that we should all slowly make our way back down the slick, wet, mud covered trail. This seemed better than risking our lives to the lightning. After an exhausting  decent we all returned to the camp. Many people suffered twisted ankles and other minor injuries. In order for us to have the safest climb possible, we were all forced to leave our sleeping bags and other heavy equipment at the top of the mountain. 
In order to retrieve the left over equipment, the next day the camp staff were asking for volunteers to hike the mountain for a second time. At first I had no interest in going for another two hour hike. I thought to myself, "I already did this yesterday, what's the point of tiring myself out even more. Besides, someone else will grab my sleeping bag." I pondered for a while and that's when I finally realized how selfish I was being. I was one who was fortunate enough to be injury free, yet I still expected someone else to get my things.  That "Golden Rule", I had been taught so much popped into my head. If I was injured would I want someone else to grab my things?; or just sit around. That day I decided volunteer, but this time it was different.  It wasn't for me, but for those who weren't able to hike that day. 
            This experience showed me that living by this believe may not be the easiest and it may be physically draining. The reward of knowing that you made the day of someone else, is worth every second. That is why to this day I believe that you should treat others the way that you would like to be treated.

3 comments:

  1. Coming from someone that did the same belief, I believe that you had a great example of the "motto" and or "Golden rule" in your essay. It's nice to read something about someone being passionate and unselfish as well. Fantastic Job Zach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good message that I think all of us have been taught since a young age. The story that you have really adds to that message. You were really thinking for others when you did that. Nice job with this piece. Keep up this fine work Zachary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a compelling story, great choice to highlight your belief. I also listened to your podcast. Podcasts are a huge blogging trend so I'm happy you're experimenting with this! It sounds like you needed to use an external mic however, the sound quality isn't great. I had to really lean in to be able to understand you. Other than that, it's pretty good given it's your first podcast! I do recommend using a little more voice inflection - maybe practice it a couple times first so that you don't sound like you're reading - it can take away a bit from the quality of your story, which is great. I'd love for this to sound more conversational. My only other comment is to bring a little more humor in - I read an earlier post where you commented that you want to do that. I think there might have been opportunity to highlight that here in some way. Just a thought :) Last thing - love the photo used for the podcast, that's a really nice touch!

    ReplyDelete